Monday, August 17, 2009

Raja Raja Cholan's Memorial(Samadhi)

This is the video footage which shows the dilapidated condition of the memorial(Samadhi) of Raja Raja Cholan(Arul Mozhi Varman),one of the greatest rulers India has ever seen.I was in tears watching this video.Ever since reading Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan and several other novels based on his life,I was fascinated by him and that inspired me look deep in to Tamil's history.I can't
say I know the history inside out but as far as I know he ranks among the likes of Ashoka,Samudra Gupta and Akbar.In fact it was under his reign that KUDAMUZHUKKU(an exercise by which the village head would be elected by the people of that particular village through election) system was introduced.I'll write about this syatem in detail some other day.In a way it was a predeccesor to the modern day elections.A 1000 year old memorial of a emperor lying in shambles and our Chief Minister spends crores for installing a statue of some unknown poet.This could happen only in Tamil Nadu.GTH guys.

11 comments:

SHIVI said...

some historions like DR.Kalaikovan, after conducting research, came to the conculsion that sivalingam you have showed is not a sivalingam estabilished on rajaraja palipadai. it may be a ancient lingam washed away by rain and settled in that place. regarding pal kulathamman temple inscription, it belongs to kulothunga chola1 time and refers only sivapatha sekaran thirumaligai which means palace used by rajaraja cholan. it does not refer to rajaraja cholan palipadai.

Thirumeni said...

The election system is called as "Kudavolai murai " not kudamulakku.

Thirumeni

Agathiar said...

Yes Thiru I agree. Kudamuakku is actually means Khumbavishegam. Some tamil people dont want to use sankrit words so they say it as Kovil Kudamulakku Vizla.

Sittar said...

why cant we people rebuilt his samadi again. I plan to visit the place and talk with the care taker. See what can I do I m very sure cant do it myself.... from Kaadaram Malaysia...

Thirumeni said...

@Sittar ,if so let me know.

manikandabose said...

i'm also with tears.......

Should build a big temple in that place like 'thanjai periya kovil'.

manikandabose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
revathy.... said...

THE GREAT "RAJA RAJA CHOLAN" what a wonderful and talented king He is? but today He is sleeping like an orphan it's shameful for all tamil peoples.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

My wife belongs to the 43 generation of Raja Raja Chola family...the uncrowned princess of Chola Dynasty, they do not live a rich life either, they were all poor at the time of my marriage, during their grand father Nataraja Pillai was serving as a temple dharmakatha near coimbatore, even he had few information to be claimed as a family member of Chola, but after his death, these innocent people were left with no options, there is a place which is named after him in coimbatore as well, they dont have any documents or inscriptions about their anchestors though and remained silent for several years...later i came to know about them through my mother in law they there family of 13 children ( Out of them many passed away and only 5 people are alive) were born and left out poor for almost several decades...

My wife is working now in a software company (Wipro Chennai) and if possible any one of you please advise where this place is,i do want to pay our respect to this place...

thanks,
Naveen
naveen.priya@gmail.com

Unknown said...

45oursdprNaveen I have also read ponniyin selvan and tears rolling down my eyes thinking on the recklessness of govt. Any how I would also like to visit this place and find more information on the palace location too. If you happen to go there please post your informations to me at srnsundarr@gmail.com